Some Safety Tips for Staten Islanders

Some Safety Tips for Staten IslandersThe temperature is expected to drop below 30 degrees in the next few days at Staten Island, New York,and yet there’s another storm on the way. The  National Grid has issued some safety guidelines that are to be followed by those who are reliant on alternative heat sources.

The utility says that the tips can help in protecting individuals, families, and their homes from the hazards presented by fire or carbon monoxide.

Fire safety:

  • “Space” heaters need their space. Keep anything combustible at least three feet away.
  • Never refuel a space heater while it is in operation or is still hot.
  • If you are using supplemental portable electric heaters, never use an extension cord. Plug them directly into the electrical outlet.

Carbon monoxide safety:

  • All heaters that run on fuel (natural gas, kerosene, butane, oil) should be vented.
  • Do not use the kitchen oven or stove top to heat your home. This can be a fire hazard as well as a source of toxic fumes.
  • Do not burn charcoal designed for barbecues indoors — not even in a fireplace or wood burning stove.

More fire and carbon monoxide safety after the jump.

Click here to find out more information about chair lifts new jersey.

Quick Response Contact Form
In a hurry or after hours? Complete the convenient form below and we'll get back to you very soon.

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box

Please type the characters of this captcha image in the input box